Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Ender's Game

The title of my all time favorite book. If you haven't read it, I suggest you do, but I must warn you. It's not for the faint-hearted. This book has shaped my life in more ways than I can think of. Under a thick disguise of science fiction, the book is also deeply psychological and even more philosophical, and gives you much to think about even as you turn the last page. Among other things, it had taught me to try to understand what people mean instead of what they say, and that the best teacher you can have is your worst enemy, and that in some cases, your worst enemy is yourself.
I don't expect many of you to read it, but if you do and/or have, please discuss it with me. It's a great books for geeks like me as well, so any/all of you who are geeks should love it.
All in all, I would argue that it is one the greatest books ever written, bar none. If you are 14 or older, I would highly encourage it.
On another note, here is the trailer for the upcoming film The Avengers: http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi1636408857

You're thoughts on any of this?

Daniel

10 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate age restrictions. Who's it by? I love books that make me think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Orson Scott Card. He's written other books, but his Ender's Game series and Shadow series are the only one's that I've read. Given your writing background, I have no reason to believe that you can't read it, Princess, although you should probably ask first.

    That said, the sequel is somewhat sketchy, although it is a driving and thought-provoking situation. The Shadow series (a set of parallel novels following a secondary character) is also a little more mature in tone and content, but are well worth reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have only read Ender's Game, although I have started and never finished the sequel twice. I must say the Ender's Game easily made my top five books. The full implications that are being made and debated by the characters are not revealed until the end, and it's one of the best surprises endings I've ever seen in the literary circle...in fact it may be the only one. Books don't have many surprise endings, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You told me about it before. I think I like your recommendations after just finishing The Killer Angels.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good book huh? I'll have to lend you the movie now. Still one of my favorites ever made.

    Speaker for the Dead is more challenging, but I like it just as much as Ender's Game. One of the chapters in that book is, I would argue, one of the best examples of any writing anywhere; it's just that powerful. Chris, after you finish the last book I gave you, Speaker for the Dead should be high on the list. I'll work on Dracula as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ug... hard to say. If Bridget is anything to go by, I'd guess not. The main character commits several acts of violence, with rather graphic descriptions of what happens, and there is enough sexual innuendo that I gave the book an age restriction, but you should have no problem with it. Any writer should read the best, and this is one of the best.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've seen samples of your writing, so yes, I think I can safely say that you'd like it. Unfortunately, I just lent my copy to Stephanie, so you'll have to get it from the library if you don't want to wait. I like the picture by the way.

    ReplyDelete